On Tue, Nov 27, 2012 at 2:23 PM, john skaller <skal...@users.sourceforge.net
> wrote:

> On 28/11/2012, at 9:09 AM, Dobes Vandermeer wrote:
> >
> > On my Windows 7 machine I ran that test as I composed my reply and
> started 160,000 threads.  I would assume a modern version of linux is
> capable of the same.
>
> OSX, macbook pro:

Well, I said linux not Mac OSX.  Those limits are arbitrary anyway, you can
change them.  There may be a "hard" limit compiled in the kernel, though, I
don't know.  OSX is not Linux, though.

Here's the stats for an unmodified install of Linux Mint.  If one chooses
to tune things a bit, the numbers can go a lot higher I think.  For a high
concurrency network server, tuning is usually needed just to increase the
number of sockets and file handles the kernel can handle anyway.

dobes@dobes-VirtualBox ~ $ uname -a
Linux dobes-VirtualBox 3.2.0-23-generic #36-Ubuntu SMP Tue Apr 10 20:39:51
UTC 2012 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux
dobes@dobes-VirtualBox ~ $ ulimit -a
core file size          (blocks, -c) 0
scheduling priority             (-e) 0
pending signals                 (-i) 15890
max locked memory       (kbytes, -l) 64
open files                      (-n) 1024
pipe size            (512 bytes, -p) 8
POSIX message queues     (bytes, -q) 819200
real-time priority              (-r) 0
stack size              (kbytes, -s) 8192
max user processes              (-u) 15890

Interesting that Windows appears to be the superior operating system in
this case.

> >  The actual work being done by those threads would probably dominate
> their resource usage in most cases.
> >
> > Maybe not. Consider a game where EVERYTHING is a thread.
> > All the actors, sprites, everything. All the time, not just when visible.
> > [Simulation].
> >
> > Sure, but that's a hypothetical.
>
> Yes, its a design. Clearly hypothetical because game developers
> didn't have Felix before :)

Felix isn't the first system to support lightweight threads, though.

>  > Is that today's design goal, though?
>
> Todays design goal is to get my dinghy floating so I can get off
> my boat. Aluminium is a bad material for a vessel that sits in
> the water all the time .. especially next to a steel boat!

Good luck!