Hi, Julie, thank you for your email.

That’s another reason why I hesitate to bring Ginger in – if my vet or vet’s tech assistant examined other kitties prior to Ginger, she could catch something either from their hand or clothes or thermometer, too – I was going to bring Gingers’ own thermometer though just in case – but I think about all sort of things to avoid any risks if you know what I mean -

-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of Julie Johnson
Sent: Wednesday, February 16, 2005 7:02 AM
To: felvtalk@felineleukemia.org
Subject: RE: Ginger's appointment

Dear Hideyo,

I agree with Barb; I think your precautions are fine and they are certainly more than I do when I handle an FeLV+ cat.  I simply wash my hands with soap and water.

Think about it; does the vet go through anything more rigorous after examining an FeLV+ cat?  I do not currently have any FeLV+ cats, but I stopped vaccinating against FeLV as soon as it was implicated in VAS.  I do not mix my FeLV+ cats, they always have a separate room.  My Encore, who tested postive after having been negative, shared a room with 4 other cats who were too shy to be in the general population.  She had prolonged contact and shared litter, food and water.  The cats she was in the room with have continued to test negative. (KNOCK WOOD!)

I thought about the insulin syringes being much thinner than other kinds of syringes, too; I wonder if it could make a difference?  Like you, I have to do some research and track down that whole study.

Julie

Barb Moermond <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

With those precautions, I think you're completely safe.  The concensus is that it takes prolonged intimate contact to transfer the virus and that the virus is extremely fragile and short-lived outside the host.  There are many people on this list who mix their positives and negatives knowingly for various reasons and, list members please correct me if I'm wrong, there is not one instance in a knowing mix- with the negatives vaccinated, that the virus was transferred.  There are others who keep their positives separated but don't take your bleaching and clothes changing precautions and I think that there also, no transmission of virus has occurred.  There are the sad cases where a FeLV+ was brought in and the status was NOT known and the virus was transmitted to other negative, non-vaccinated kitties.

Hideyo Yamamoto <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

I am not sure which doctor studied it, but I will do some research and try to find out.

Do you think there is a great risk of my other cats to get FeLV?  I do worry –I wash my hands with bleach (1-bleach & 8 water) all the time, before and after visiting Ginger, and change my clothes and socks every time, and before and after – do you think there is still a risk?

I read that FeLV virus does not live outside of the body more than a few seconds (and some other literature says “a few hours” and I am not sure what is more realistic information – do you know?  I am curious) –

I would appreciate any of your input on this – because I have 20 plus cats in my house though they don’t have a direct contact at all with Ginger, I do not want to assume that it is ok -  and vice versa, most of my other cats are exposed to corona virus positive.

Thank you!

Hideyo