I am sorry, but I still can’t agree with that – There was a situation where we had a total of over 50 feral cats who were fed by someone – and the person died of cancer a few months ago, but the rescue group I work with, no one had any intention of trapping and killing them including myself because of it – as we knew how much these cats lives meant to the person who died of cancer and she had contributed so much to lives of all the feral cats in the city – so what we did was, we trapped all of them (except a few that we couldn’t due to some stupid mistakes we made) – and there were all taken by someone, and if not, have been relocated to some place where someone else could take care of them – there is always risk of re-locating feral and I don’t usually go for it – but when there is no alternatives, re-locating them is a better choice than killing them.  I feel that we humans always have a choice to make, whether we are willing to make it or not – we just simply do have a choice regardless of situations. I just simply can’t agree to the belief that we have no choice, but to kill them – that’s an arrogant thinking of our part – why not re-locate them and give them another chance if they are healthy – just the thought breaks my heart – and sometime I am sad that I am one of them –

-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of catatonya
Sent: Monday, March 14, 2005 4:10 PM
To: felvtalk@felineleukemia.org
Subject: Re: OT:Tonya - killing ferals

I just think we're talking about different situations.  My Mamma Kitty I brought home from North Carolina last winter was living with a feral colony.  The colony lives in the woods behind my sister's neighborhood.  She feeds them, and we try to trap and spay what we can. In the meantime we stay worried sick about them being killed by hawks and coyotes, dogs, etc.... But we don't just trap them and euthanize them.  We let them live out their lives.

Other instances are for example 45 cats found living in an abandoned school bus where people had been feeding them and moved away.  Property being cleared for new homes.  We have a few days to relocate 45 ferals? Not likely.  A man dies leaving (we counted over 80) sick, inbred, injured cats on his property.  Family wants them gone yesterday, or they call animal control to trap and euthanize.  Where do we relocate that many sick, injured cats?  Even the well ones.  It's very hard to relocate a colony IF on the unlikely chance someone says they'll take them if we spay/neuter them?

A restaurant calls with 25 or so ferals living in the dumpsters behind the shopping center.  We can get them out within a week or they will poison them.........

We do what we can do.  Sometimes trapping and euthanizing is the only option we have.  Currently our humane society just goes into Mobile Home parks and spays/neuters everything they can find.  Whether they have homes or not, they leave them to live out their lives.  We also have spay days where people who have ferals on their property can use our traps and bring them to us to spay/neuter/release.  There are just cases, though, where that won't work.

I don't think anyone enjoys 'playing God' with the lives of these animals.  But we are basically put in that position and just have to do the best we can.  I'm sure all of my cats would be 'happier' if I let them go outside.  But I don't, because I don't think that's best for them.  That's playing "God" as well.  I'm sure they'd rather have Fancy Feast every day too, but they don't get it.  : )  I'm sure they'd rather not go to the vet, etc.... etc...

With children, of course, there is no option to 'kill' them because they are abused, sick, or whatever.  I wish that were the case for animals as well.  But it's not.  Every time we get an email on the list from someone trying to place a sick cat or it will be euthanized are we all guilty because we don't take it?  Aren't each of us making a decision that the cat will have to die because we can't take it?

It would be nice to solve all the problems, but I don't have the answers either.

Nina <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

Tonya,
What you went through with those dogs is heart wrenching! How awful for
you and the dogs. I should have known there was a story like that
behind your comments.

>> My opinion is sometimes trapping and euthanizing is the best we can
do for them. And these are domestic animals, whether they be feral from
the fault of humans or not, it's a hard life for the adults and horrible
for the kittens. :(

While there may have been no alternative for those poor feral dogs, it's
not the same for feral cats. Dogs pose a danger to the humans in their
territory in a way cats never could. Wild cats are fringe dwellers,
it's rare to even see a truly feral cat, let alone be threatened by
one. They don't hunt in packs and don't pose a threat to humans or
domestic pets, (unless of course they are disease ridden, but that is
not what we're talking about here).

You're right, I still don't agree with trapping and killing healthy
cats, just in case they might come to a bad end. I believe where there
is life there is hope. TNR is the only humane answer I have found to
help alleviate the sometimes horrible suffering of cats and kittens in
the colonies. However they got to be feral, whether born to it, or
dumped and truly reverted, if it's not possible to socialize them, I
think they have a right to remain free to live their lives. I don't
think we're going to change each other's minds on this subject. But I
can't help voicing mine!

Nina