I'm wondering also if there are cheaper places to have transfusions done. My internist charged $412. Out of that, $30 was for the red blood count.

-Kyle
----- Original Message -----
From: catatonya
Sent: Saturday, April 23, 2005 5:36 PM
Subject: transfusion donors

I have to say I would complain if a donor cat were kept in a cage in the back!  That is ridiculous!  My vet does have donor cats who are 'office cats' .  BUT they are up for adoption.  They don't just stay and do that forever!  Also, if you know in advance, there are 'bloodbanks' for cats to my knowledge.  Of course, I don't know how cats are kept that donate to the bank.

Good thing to look into...........  I will ask my vet next time I'm in.

Melbeach <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
Jenn,

I thought about that after the last transfusion. My vet mentioned that they had a cat on hand for doing transfusions. What an awful fate! Spending your life in a cage, waiting to have a needle stuck in your arm. I was definitely disturbed when I heard about this. That's why I offered to bring Brissle's littermate brother in as a donor. In Brissle's case with the first transfusion at our regular vet, the onsite cat had a different blood type. So my vet was kind enough to use his own cat as a donor. With my internist, I'm not sure. Can't they just draw the blood and store it? I was thinking this had to be the case with the internist, as they charged double what my vet charged ($400 vs $200). Probably not though. My internist is the only show in town. Plus his office is exquisite. You'd think they would cut down on overhead a bit to help their customers save some cash!

-Kyle