Yes, it's Fern. She is the only dog left in the house, the other two died this November and the last October.  She is on flax oil with every meal.  It is not normal swelling. It is something called polyarthritis which comes from an auto-immune disorder she got as a secondary reaction to her cancer. Basically any time her cancer grows uncontrollably her immune system freaks out and starts fighting with the rest of her body, and as a result she gets uveitis in her eyes and her joints swell up and get painful.  So she was on a heavy dose of immune suppressant (imagine having cancer and having to suppress your immune system! we also give her lots of immune support herbs, which apparently do not counteract the immune suppressant stuff because they act on different parts of the immune system-- we tried stopping all the herbs and she got worse rather than better) and also a heavy dose of prednisone, then tapered to low doses of both.  But then her uveitis came back so we upped the pred, per the oncologist, and then she started getting cushings disease from the high pred dose, so we lowered it again and now the polyarthritis is back.  All while her lung cancer is now filling more than 70% of her lungs and her breathing is now audible and she coughs every few hours.  She still eats a lot, goes for short walks twice a day, and seems generally in good spirits, but it is getting clearer and clearer that she does not have long.  I doubt she will make it to our move in July.  Of course, she was given 2-6 months to live over 17 months ago, so you never know, but it does seem like her symptoms are accelerating.
Michelle