You're referring to Leptospirosis, a bacterial infection not only found in dogs or cats, but also contagious to humans and most mammals, I believe. Nasty stuff. Not very common in cats, though would almost surely only be found in outdoor cats (thought to be transmitted via drinking contaminated water, or eating infected prey, such as rats). Probably worth testing for if nothing else can be found wrong in cases where there is unexplained acute kidney failure. My mom actually caught this once when camping in Texas, but she got very ill, and it was caught early (because she felt so bad she went to the hospital, where they diagnosed it right away), and a round of strong antibiotics cleared it right up. I, on the other hand, drink drainage ditch water on my hikes, and have never caught anything, go figure! I guess Vermont is a bit too cold for these things maybe (or maybe just an environmentally cleaner state)? Anyways, more info below: