That's why I think, too, it's much more common than we know that we have cats that we think contracted the disease from a 'new' cat when they had it all along.

Absolutely!

-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of catatonya
Sent:
Wednesday, June 15, 2005 11:36 PM
To: felvtalk@felineleukemia.org
Subject: RE: This is what the vet said...

True.  I really think anyone bringing new cats who test negative should still retest 60-90 days later to be truly sure.  And then during that time the cat could not be exposed to any new cats or to possible positives.  That's why I think, too, it's much more common than we know that we have cats that we think contracted the disease from a 'new' cat when they had it all along.

tonya

Chris <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

"unfortunately, it works the other way, too--a
cat could test negative because it was just exposed and it's not
showing up on the snap yet...."

Unfortunately, I believe this is what happened to my
Tucson & only served to
show me that out of all those cats that people get as kittens, there are
probably a whole lot who really are pos--not to mention, how many people who
have indoor-outdoor cats have them checked every year! Kind of makes it
impossible to really adress 'life expectancy' questions for FELV+. Bottom
line, this disease has been around forever & we have all had cats who we
loved dearly without ever knowing if they were pos or not!

Chris
[EMAIL PROTECTED]