My dog Fern was on an at-home oxygen tank for her last week (she had lung cancer). She did not like it very much and had to get mild tranquilizers to deal with it, but it made her breathe much much easier.  The way it worked was that the oncologist put a nasal oxygen tube in her nose (one shallow stitch) and we then rented an oxygen tank and long line from a human medical supplies office, and the tube hooked right in to the line.  I do not know if they do this with cats, but even with Fern they had only done it one other time for a dog.

Let us know what happens.
Michelle