I have a question. Well, it is more of looking for
some personal advice on an issue.

I have been off and on the FeLVtalk list for three (3)
years now, but ever since the "Massive Spraying" issue
back in 12-14-04 I very rarely receive responses from
my posts. It is almost as if me and the group have had
a falling out.

Before I get started and for clarification purposes,
this post is NOT what you may think that it is. No
flames please!

For those that do not know me, I am a cat-mom who is
happily loved by thirteen (13) adorable kitties, ten
(10) in which are strictly indoors cats only.
Currently all of my kids are FeLV negative.

The kitties are not the only fur-kids that we have
adopted. Our house is a multi-animal home. Me and my
husband have two (2) dogs, a small ten (10) gallon
freshwater tank, a horse and twenty-five (25) sugar
gliders. (We do sugar glider rescue work as well as
feline rescue work.)

ALL of my kids have been rescues via straight off of
the street, animal control or human societies. I DO
NOT BREED. All of my fur-kids have been spayed and/or
neutered (including the exotics) at four (4) months of
age. We live on six (6) acres of country land.

Okay, with all of the "red-tape" out of the way. The
reason for this post is because this particular
"topic" has come up often in the past and I need some
honest and straightforward advice.

Me and my husband are expecting with our first child.
I am currently six (6) months pregnant and sacrificing
any of the fur-kids for our human child is completely
OUT OF THE QUESTION. We are NOT going to lose ANY
member of our family due to this pregnancy.

However, me and my husband are completely aware that
the baby will inevitably change the balance of our
home's environment and/or atmosphere.

Therefore, we are in need of ideas to help the kids
through a smooth and safe transition i.e. playing a
tape/CD that has baby cries on it so that the fur-kids
can become accustomed to the sound, allowing the kids
access to the baby's room so that they become familiar
with the baby's "smell", etc.

Spraying, inappropriate elimination, territorial
aggression, jealousy, rejection and avoidance are
normal responses to ANY new arrival and/or addition;
therefore, me and my husband expect and accept these
types of behavioral outbursts.

I just did not know if anyone here on the list has
ever continued their rescue work while pregnant. If
so, how did the transition workout for you? Did your
fur-kids eventually come around to "accepting" the new
baby or do they just call a truce?

Again, this post is not intended to instigate ANY kind
of argument! Just looking for some helpful and honest
advice from those of you who have experience in this
department. Thanks!

Lora

http://mail.yahoo.com