Kerry,
Does Tiger always go in the same spot outside the box?  If so, why don't you try putting an empty litter box, or one lined with newspaper, in the spot he likes to go?  If that doesn't work, you could put plastic on the floor and then cover it with a washable throw rug, or towel.  Maybe you can work your way up to getting him to use a box again.  If he'll use a litterbox with newspaper lined flat, you could start to shred paper, and then mix it with litter and then finally, all litter.  Talking to him about it certainly can't hurt, but I'm betting he already knows that you prefer him to use the box.  Something else is going on here with this behavior.  Did you get my last email about it?

MacKenzie, Kerry N. wrote:
Message
Sandy & Nina
Agree---you must be thrilled Sandy by the outcome of your talk!
I'm going to try it with Tiger..and I'll do it in the affirmative, Nina---explain to him how much nicer, better, healthier it is for everyone if he goes in the box. (Thinks---maybe I'll even be able to get him to cover up!).
Kerry