I would make the equitable estoppel argument, that you relied on what you were told by the government.  Did you spend any money fixing things up for the cats in the past year since he said you had the permit? If so, seriously, I would document that and point out that you relied financially, as well as emotionally, on having been approved for the permit.
Michelle