Gloria,
First my condolences on losing Chrissy this way! It's so frustrating when people think they are doing the "right thing", but don't bother contacting someone who they should know would be able to give them advice. I think you may be right, this had more to do with the adopter's emotional state than poor Chrissy's state of health. Shame on that vet for not encouraging her more vigorously to treat Chrissy, and shame on her for not contacting you. I've had adopters, that I thought were good homes do some horrendous things too, (One poor kitty has been declawed, it haunts me to this day). I can only imagine how upsetting this is to you. We try to do the best we can when placing them. It seems like no matter how hard we try, there are always going to be those that say one thing and do another. This is why I'm good at rescue and rehabilitation, and lousy at adoption. It's hard to have faith when there are so many people that don't react the way we expect, or would hope them to. I feel like hitting somebody, at the same time, I still feel sorry for the woman. If she were in front of me, I'm sure I could manage to feel sorry for her and hit her at the same time.
Nina

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

Actually, the "owner" indicated that it was her choice because she herself has
had kidney stones and knows how much they hurt.  She was new to that vet, as she just
moved (like 10 miles from her former place).  From what she said,  she was just adamant
about it, thinking she was doing the right thing.  I mentioned to her that bladder stones
were different than kidney stones, but she just said she didn't want her to hurt.

I think she was trying to do the right thing, without listening to others.
She's just getting over her mothers death, and seems to be depressed. I think
it was a bad decision for good hearted reasons.

Sigh again.

Gloria