My understanding is that it is a synthetic version of a hormone that the kidneys normally excrete which tells the bone marrow to produce red blood cells. If the hormone is low, the bone marrow stops producing.  The epogen replaces the hormone and sends a signal to the bone marrow to start making cells again, and if it works they do.
Michelle