Dear Wendy
I am sorry you are having to go through this pain, and so soon after
losing your darling Cricket. Try to remind yourself Stretch knows that
he is loved by you, that you have nothing but his welfare and best
interests at heart, and that you will do whatever is within your means
and power to help him and minimize his suffering. That's what I've
always forced myself to remember when I've been in a similar situation
(which sadly most of us on the list have been).
>>How do you guys afford expensive treatments when you
just don't have the money?<<<
We can only do what we can do, and it's a sad fact of life that the cost
of the treatment is often what determines the next step. Over the last
couple of years I've racked up my credit cards, used one of those credit
card checks you get in the mail, and then last summer Flavia's
treatment, and the subsequent euthanization and individual cremation
costs for Flavia and Snowball, forced me to take a chunk of money from
my paltry "retirement" fund. I can still hear the unspoken thoughts of
the broker when I explained it was for vet fees...this woman is a total
nut/loser. I told only one friend, and he was clearly shocked -- told me
not to do "anything stupid". I know I can't do it again, anyway, tho,
because I won't be in a position to help any cat if I wind up destitute
in my old age (which is not that far away!).
Only you guys understand.
And we surely understand the anguish you feel, Wendy, in not having a
limitless budget for treatment. I would think most us are in much the
same boat; and beating ourselves up because of it. That's what's so
wonderful about this group--we realize we're not alone; everyone faces
the same problems and heartache at one time or another. And everyone
does whatever they can to help one another cope and do the best for
their furbabies.
Sending zillions of positive, healing vibes, Wendy, for sweet Stretch's
recovery.
love and hugs to you both
Kerry