Marlene,

I don't know what it all means.  I hope the doxy helps Pekoe.  I know you're doing other supplements as well.  Didn't you say doxy had helped in the past?

Head butts to Pekoe.

tonya

Marlene Chornie <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
Hello All,

    Pekoe's blood work came back from the Lab today -

RBC - 6.0 (Normal Range - 6.2 - 10.6)
MCV - 53 (39 - 52)
Platelets - 5 (93 - 514) Smear agrees with machine platelet count
MPV - 21.5 (8 - 21)
Rubricyte Count - 0.37 (0.0 - 0.0)

    I know - I just about keeled over when I saw his platelet count :(  The vet was in touch with the pathologist at the lab.  They were holding some blood for possible PCR for Hemobart.  He apparently looked at the smear (which he thought could show signs of Hemobart) and will be running the PCR tomorrow.  The vet and pathologist said if it's Hemobart, it could be Immune-Mediated Thrombocytopenia.  On the other hand, they also said it could be bone marrow related.  (Think I got all this straight - even though I have a medical background, I'm still having a hard time wrapping my mind around some of this).
    So, Pekoe was started on Doxycycline 2X/day and Prednisone 10mg. 2X/day, and he's to have repeat blood work (platelet count) this coming Monday to assess the platelet response.
    We're to check for any bruising - which the vet said she didn't see any yesterday at all when she checked him over.  She discussed everything with his regular vet, and she was as "stunned" as we all were regarding his platelets.  Incidentally, his regular vet said that obviously a "dental" is out for now.
    As always, any thoughts/comments welcomed.

Marlene
(Pekoe & Angel Digby)