All this about heart murmurs has come at a good time for me.  I have a 15-year-old kitty, feleuk negative, who I took to the vet because he looked, for lack of a better description, like he was pregnant and ready to pop.  The vet diagnosed a heart murmur - I didn't know enough to ask many questions, but have learned more here.  He is on .5mg Lasix twice a day.  For the first couple of days he seemed smaller but after that, for the last two weeks, he has looked large again.  I really took him in fearing FIP, but a tap of the fluid showed clear.  My vet said it had to be a right heart problem rather than left (I think I have that straight) because if it were left heart he would be having trouble breathing.  I don't know how to judge how uncomfortable he is at this point.  He eats, cuddles up with me at night and purrs - no difference in behavior, just appearance.  Guess I need to talk to the vet again about the fact that he doesn't seem to be staying "down" in size.  I understand that the fluid was produced by his body to put pressure on his heart to keep it beating ok - I think that is right - I am totally new to heart problems.  And that if the fluid were, say, drained off all at once, then he'd really have a problem.

Any suggestions or input on how to proceed or things I need to ask.  Thanks, all.

tamara stickler <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
Heart murmurs can develop at any stage of life, but, should be seriously monitored and treated if it continues to get worse.  My Quintapus was diagnosed with a heart murmur only after he had a bit of a heart attack at age 2.  I took him to a cariologist and it turned out he had cardiomyopathy (hardening of the heart).  Dr. gave him meds and an estimate of approx. 3 yrs. of life left.  Quintie just died last March at the ripe age of 12.  With medication and proper monitoring heart murmurs can be controled.

As for the neuturing...if Wowie doesn't go outside at all (nor try to get out), and all your other animals are fixed....its strickly your decision. You know your cat best.  Don't let someone else bully you into making a decision you aren't comfortable with...because if something should (not that it will) go wrong, you'll have difficulty forgiving yourself.

FYI, Quint did have dentals during his life which require "putting him out" and he did fine, even with the heart murmur and renal failure.  (It was a blood clot that finally did him in.)

veggiepugs <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
Well I took Wowie (Brooklyn) to the vet today for his eye infection, which I am now treating, and the dr said to me
"He's not neutered!!" I said well, last I was here, I was told he was at more risk under anesthesia being FeLV+ so I am
hesitant. Asked me if he was an indoor cat I said yes, he said his urine must stink. Actually, I said, he is very good
with the litterbox and I keep it clean so, no. Like as if that's more important than his risks under anesthesia. THEN he
tells me, "He has a heart murmur". So i say out loud "Even MORE of a reason for me not to put him under!!!" Am I
wrong not to neuter him? He's strictly indoor. Am I putting him at risk for more illness? Or am I playing it safe? So,
now he has a heart murmur and I'm wondering why they didn't catch this OR the fact that they told me today that he
has gingivitis, at his last visit a month and a half ago. They looked in his mouth and listened to his heart so what the
heck? Dr says I need to have him get an echocardiogram. Said the murmur and the eye infection AND the gingivitis
could be secondary to felv. I'm worried. But wowie is still happy and doing well, any words of advice/guidance? I
have to start brushing his teeth too.
Thanks
Rebecca