Hi Amy,
I absolutely understand why you would want a puppy! If you and your husband have the energy to do it a puppy raised with a baby can grow to be best of friends! My brother has a 145 pound Greater Swiss Mtn Dog (a short haired Burmese). Griffin and Grace, who is 2 1/2, are inseparable! From what I gather from my brother it will require patience, love, and the support of family and friends - just like a newborn. Good luck to you, your husband, baby, the kitties, and (if you decide to) your new puppy!