Hi Susan,
I've started to seriously consider pharmaceutical help for my psycho kitty Matilda. (A good start would be for me to stop calling her "psycho kitty" :) ). It will be a last resort and I have to do some research on it. Someone else mentioned Clomacalm (sp?). Have you ever heard of it? I detest the idea of having an animal that has to be segregated for the rest of their life, just a little more than the thought of keeping someone sedated. I keep telling myself, "never say never". Patience, patience, patience!
Nina

Susan Hoffman wrote:

Something else to consider, which I have done on rare ocassion with good results, is psychiatric medication. One of my own cats iss on Prozac due to brain abnormalities most likely the result of her mother being starved during pregnancy. I'll skip the long story but my vet put Peepers on prozac about 18 months ago. She was so hyper-defensive and aggressive that I did consider having her euthanized. The prozac was a last resort and for Peepers has literally saved her life. Peepers is on it for life but twice we have had foster cats who were horroble/dangerous with other cats and put them on it temporarily out of desperation while they acclimated to a multi-cat environment and until other arrangements could be made. It helped a great deal. Talk to your vet about something along these lines. (Someone I know gets Elavil in a salve that can be rubbed inside a cat's ear. Another possibility....)