Hi Peggy,

I'm sorry to hear that Scooter has tested positive,
but happy you found us.  I'm even happier that you
have decided to keep Scooter.  I don't believe in
accidents when it comes to cats; Scooter came to you
guys for a reason.  Bless you guys for taking him in.

About FeLV and transmission.  I had a stray give birth
on my porch about five years ago.  I found her a home
and two of the three kittens a home.  The third kitten
I named Cricket and ended up keeping.  He was my baby.
 I had two others in the house as well.  Two years
after Cricket was born, he got very sick and ended up
testing positive for FeLV.  He probably was born with
it.  We got him over that illness and he was fine for
two more years, until he succumbed to FeLV related
anemia that I believe was brought on by the stress of
having a lot of family living with us for a week
during Hurricane Rita last year.  I lost him in
November.  None of my other cats are positive.  Two of
them lived with him more than four years (they are 10
now) and another lived with him for two years (she's
17).  They all shared the same water and food bowls
and litter boxes, but no grooming.  There are a lot of
people here who mix.  The big thing you will need to
worry about is fighting.  If blood or bites are
exchanged, then the FeLV is more easily transmitted.

Scooter may still throw off the FeLV virus, so you'll
need to retest in several months.  I think the
statistics say this happens 40% of the time.  The two
big things in keeping him healthy and helping him to
throw the virus are his diet and keeping him stress
free.  Make sure he is getting a good, quality food
(anything you can buy at Walmart does not count nor
does Science Diet, which is what I fed mine before I
joined this group; I feed mine Innova Evo now).  Also,
supplement his immune system by giving him L-Lysine
(without propylene glycol) and Vitamin C.  Others here
use a few other supplements.  He will have the upper
hand by getting all the love that you and your husband
will be giving him.  I think that goes a long way in
keeping any cat healthy.

Please post if you have any more questions or just
need an ear and good luck!
:)
Wendy
Dallas, TX

P.S.  My grandma's name is Peggy, so I love that name!