I think the horrible grief we all have felt fighting
for our FeLV babies, and losing many of them, binds us
together in ways that the rescue groups may not
experience.  The grief humbles us and enables us to
care gently for one another through identification.
You may not be able to reproduce that in a different
scenario.  On another note, you could require anyone
posting on your site to read a "rescue bill of rights"
or the like where you lay out that everyone will be
respectful of one another regardless of their beliefs.
 It might help.

:)
Wendy