Nina, he is not going to get better. If you thought he might, you should try chemo, as that is really the only thing with a chance at giving him long-term remission.  Otherwise, he might if lucky live a few months, but cats with lymphoma do not just go on living for years without treatment.  Steroids do help, but they can not kill the cancer off entirely.  If it was not lymphoma he has, the steroids would not even be helping as much as they are, so I have little doubt that that is what he has.

The vet will not agree with you that he has a chance to pull through this.  I do not think you will be happy with what the vet says to you.  I also do not think a feeding tube is a good idea unless you are going to do chemo, because he is not going to make it a long time anyway without it.  I would up the steroids.

Michelle