I am so sorry you lost your two babies and so close together.  You must be reeling from the grief and dealing with the other kitties coming up positive.  How are the rest of your group doing after the URI?

You were saying they were all exposed to Lionel and now Junior and Tiny have tested positive for FeLV.  It sounds like the others were tested, but are negative at this point?  Was Pumpkin positive as well?

I'm new to FeLV.  My Pippin tested positive at six weeks of age back in June.  We're waiting at least 120 days until she is retested to see if she throws the virus.  We were keeping her water, food and litter pan separate from other other three cats from day one (and vice versa).  We knew right away that we could not give her up; she was part of our family, but it took awhile before we decided to mix our cats.  We got our adult cats vaccinated and waited a few weeks to let the vaccine take hold before mixing them.

Since the vaccine is not 100% effective, we know there is a chance that one or more of our kitties could turn up positive in the future.  While we hope and pray this doesn't happen, we've gone into it knowing it could happen.  But, we take it day to day and enjoy our time with them to the fullest.  Our Pippin is healthy at this point and each day with her is a blessing, as well as with our other cats, Tigger, Taylor and Bob.

Since Pippin is asymptomatic, we aren't treating her with any drugs at this point.  We have her on 500 mg of L-Lysine daily (to boost her immune system) mixed with Innova brand wet food, plus she gets Innova Evo dry.  Our other cats are on Authority brand wet food (Petsmart brand) which is the best we can do on our budget at this time.  They were eating Friskies wet food, so the Authority is a step up.

There is much wisdom, knowledge and experience on this list.  You are in the right place :)  Blessings to you and your kitties.

Gina

Sally Davis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
Hi Nina,

I am new to the group and recently lost two beautiful babies less than a
week apart. I know how you feel when you say numb. I tried to work Tuesday
but could not even think. I am left with 2 FeLV positive cats and 7
negative cats. Of course they will need re testing in 6 months. I feel
guilty in that for my love of cats I probably brought this in the house
when I adopted Lionel. He was a big old Tomcat. Not sure of his age. I
immediately had him fixed and made him an indoor cat. He had some injuries
from a fight with a raccoon. He had a broken leg which was healed. Also a
bite wound that took a month to heal. I have a limited income and I do the
best I can by getting the cats fixed at a spay neuter clinic.

Long story short..5 of the cats had an upper respiratory infection. Two
were taken to the vet and treated with antibiotics. All sick cats stayed
inside along with junior and Lionel. All that were most exposed to Lionel
got sicker. After Pumpkin died I took Junior back to the vet who tested him
for FeLV and he was positive. It was a whirlwind to get the rest tested.
Lionel tested positive for FeLV and FIV. With a heavy and guilty heart he
had him euthanized. It is the hardest thing I have ever had to do. Tiny
tested positive today for FELV . He is now in the house with me and Junior.
I still have the two cats separate, because Junior is being treated for
some unknown infection that had his temperature at 105.3. This is why they
decided to test him.

This is the plan of action.
Keep cats separated. I think Tiny and Junior can be kept together. I am
just waiting until Junior had finished his anibiotics.
Get the 7 negative cats vaccinated for FeLV and other vaccines as well.
Get Tiny and Junior vaccinated against the other major disease.
Pray that 6 months from now the other cats are negative.

Anything else major missing from this picture?
Oh yes Junior is about 4 and Tiny is 5. They are half brothers. They do not
like each other..lol

Junior is Blind in one eye because he was hit by a car last March. He has
been an inside cat since. Tiny is a major hunter. What can I do to keep him
happy and entertained?

Again my sympathies go out to you..

Sally