Hi to Prince from Montana, Karma and Scooter!

We were in the same place as you a few weeks ago.  My husband and I took in a stray (Scooter) and the day I brought him to the vet, I got a call at work with the bad news.  Like you, I never considered FELV to be a possibility, so we were floored to learn he was positive.  After much soul-searching, we opted not to take the vet’s advice (pts) and decided to keep Scooter.  Fortunately, the vet was supportive as long as I promised to keep Scooter indoors and of course maintain my two negatives’ vaccinations.  You would never know Scooter was sick – he’s just a normal 10 month old kitten, a bundle of energy and very loving.  My other two cats are allowed to go outdoors, so I’ve been trying to get Scooter used to a collar and retractable leash, but the few times we tried it indoors he hated it, and even seems scared to go outside so if he’s happy being an indoor cat, I’m fine with that too.  Montana and Karma are still learning how to deal with him, and there are occasional fights but mostly just batting and growling but never any scratching or biting.  I don’t separate their dry food, but I watch carefully when they have their canned food in the morning and immediately remove and wash Scooter’s bowl so the others won’t be tempted to eat from it.  I don’t know what to do about the water bowl but cross my fingers and know I’m doing the right thing for Scoot even if it puts the others at a slight risk.  This group is so supportive – it’s really great to read about the success stories of kitties in peril being placed, and heartwarming to read the sadder stories of cats who eventually succumb to the disease, or complications from it, and the response of everyone when that happens.

Best of luck to you and Prince and your other kitties!

Here are links to pics of my little guys (they’re big files so they may take forever to view):

Scooter  http://academic.mbc.edu/mperozzo/scooter.mht

Karma  http://academic.mbc.edu/mperozzo/Karma.mht

Montana  http://academic.mbc.edu/mperozzo/MONTANA.mht