Heh.  Well, let me tell you what happens in this rescue, which does not have a shelter, but is a network of foster homes.

We have a Yahoo group.  Pictures and bios of the cats are posted on the Yahoo group.  If someone can take the cats they speak up.  If no one can take the cats people will try to guilt others into taking the cats.  "These cats will die unless someone steps up and does the right thing."

What happened to me (and I take blame for allowing it to happen too) is the same thing that happens to all new fosters in that group.  Everyone else is overloaded with cats, so when a new foster comes in they start taking all the cats.  Everyone allows this to happen because they don't want cats to die (even though there are cats dying all over the area every day - for some reason the cats at this particular animal control are this group's focus).  Then the foster gets overwhelmed.  I have seen it happen several times since I started fostering.

Cats get pulled all the time with no plan.  The org is always in crisis mode (gee, I wonder why).  Once someone has taken the cat - you are pretty much forgotten about and

I took in 4 litters this kitten season.  Then I had to start learning how to say no, like it or not.  I haven't taken in any cats since May.

As far as vaccines, spay/neuter, etc - sometimes adults are altered when pulled from the shelter, sometimes intact.  The adults all get basic vaccines, microchip, and revolution application with the workup.  Fosters would need to arrange for boosters in 2 weeks of distemper vaccine, and alteration if intact.  Kittens which are too young do not get anything, the foster arranges/pays for all of it.  When the cat is adopted, you can file for reimbursement of the expenses up to the amount of the adoption fee.   If there is money in the fund, you will be reimbursed.  If not, well, then you're SOL and you can take it as a tax deduction.

Kelley