Thanks.  I have a call in for my vet right now.  Do you know how long the transfused red cells live?  Would it be as long as it would take for him to produce some on his own?   I really appreciate your - and everyone's - advice.  There is so much more knowledge on this list than any vet, even a good one, has.

Belinda <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
Hi Susan,
You may still want to do the transfusion, it takes I think about 26
(not sure if this is exactly correct) days for red cells to be produced,
mature and be sent out to be used, that's a long time. I don't think he
would live that long with a HCT that low, I lost Frankie when his HCT
was down to 6%, he showed no symptoms until the day I took him in and I
lost him that night. Took him home to decided whether to do the
transfusion or not, my then vet made it sound like it really wasn't
going to help, this was many years ago and I know better now.

--

Belinda
happiness is being owned by cats ...

Be-Mi-Kitties
http://bemikitties.com

http://adopt.bemikitties.com

FeLV Candlelight Service
http://bemikitties.com/cls

http://HostDesign4U.com

BMK Designs [non-profit animals websites]
http://bmk.bemikitties.com