Yep, I've been there. The key is to add a FULL CUP of white vinegar to every wash load in addition to anything else you use to clean it (the detergent, bleach, oxyclean, etc). And clean the house with vinegar too, it neutralizes the cat urine smell (and ammonia). On the upholstery (like the sofa) use the Resolve Carpet Foam or the Armor-All Car Foam Upholstery cleaner, spay it on thick, then brush it in with a brush, then scrub with a dry towel, flip towel, scrub more, keep using more towels until it comes up wet but not colored on a white towel. You may have to spray more foam, and use up to 3 towels on one sofa arm. On carpets, if you can find the exact spot, if it's still wet, take a folded towel, and put it over the spot, and step on the towel, flip to a dry side, and step down on it hard, once it comes up dry, then pour white vinegar on the spot (use the same amount as the cat would pee generally speaking), and then repeat your blotting process with clean towels until THAT comes up dry. Let it dry, then use the resolve carpet SPRAY on the spot, scrubbing with a towel to get it into the carpet pad (it takes a LOT of spray). Then blot THAT til the towel comes up dry. As for the bedroom, always tuck you bedspread, sheets, blankets, etc up ON TOP of the mattress, never let them hang down over the sides of the bed, that's PRIME spraying territory, and you'll definitely smell like cat pee if you sleep under sprayed covers. Or shower in the morning AFTER you get all the house chores done, and right before you head out the door. Keep one of those odor absorber tubs in your closet, and always keep the door shut. If you ever see a cat in it, be sure you get down on the floor and smell for new pee puddles on the closet floor and spray on your longer clothing. If you have forced central heat or AC, put the bounce dryer sheets with a touch of febreeze in all your vents, that stuff is strong (don't do it in the bedroom, you wont be able to sleep because of the perfume). Go through the house and spray all curtains, shower curtains, beds, sofas, chairs, etc with febreeze daily. Use the arm and hammer carpet powder if you have carpeted floors with you vacuum. Once every month, wash ALL walls that are washable (painted, paneling, or glossy paper can all be washed usually). Clean hard floors in a 3 step process, first, use 1/2 a gallon of white vinegar mixed with 1/2 a gallon of HOT water, mop all floors getting them soaking wet. Then, make bleach water, 2 cups of bleach to 1 gallon of hot water,  mop floors again, changing water as soon as you cannot see the bottom of the bucket. Then, mop with a commercial floor cleaner, like Mr. Clean, the typical way. It takes me ALL WEEKEND to clean, yes, but it does NOT smell like cat pee until around Wednesday! (I also spend about $30 a week on laundry)

Oh, and always smell your clothes before putting them on, especially your coat if you use a coat rack or hooks on a wall in a room where cats can go. Last week, I smelled like cat pee all day Wednesday because one of them got my coat!

And don't be so embarrassed, we've all been there... I think... I know I have, anyways! :)

Phaewryn

Please adopt a cat from Little Cheetah Cat Rescue!!! http://ucat.us/adopt.html
Low cost Spay&Neuter services in VT, and Emergency Financial Assistance for cat owners:
http://ucat.us/VermontLowCost.html
Special Needs Cat Resources: http://ucat.us/domesticcatlinks.html
The Sofa Poem: http://ucat.us/sofapoem.html
Find us on PETFINDER! http://petfinder.com/shelters/VT44.html