Yes, mine are not caged either.  Most of the time when I see cages used it
is at the large shelters, such as the city animal shelter and the humane
society.

No one stressed keeping numbers sane when I started doing this and my
numbers are not sane at this time.  But live and learn, and I'm not taking
any more in until I adopt several out.

  What you described is not the way all rescues operate.  Many use foster