it really does depend--my brendan, a red persian (who, when he was
neutered, was found to have a "bent penis") developed crystals at one
point that i caught IMMEDIATELY because he was a--and remains--a cat
who NEVER goes outside the litter box, so when he did, i knew there
was a problem.... he was on c/d for a couple of years, as were the
rest of the cats. asked the vet about switching them all back to
regular food at some point, and keeping an eye on him, which i did
about seven or eight years ago--he's had no recurrence.

had a little girl cat who also had crystals, and she only needed to be
on the special food for a month, and never had a recurrence.... (after
being told by an emergency vet that she'd be dead by morning if i
didn't pay them $750 cash for surgery..... had them fax over her xray
and blood-test reports to my vet the next morning, who put her on c/d
and antibiotics instead, for a $35 consult fee....)

MC