At 08:40 AM 3/25/2007, you wrote:

Totally agree. Steroids can cause the exacerbation of several things, Fungus is very common, which could turn a mild case of ringworm into a bad one, It slows healing time also. I always keep lots of tubes of Terramycin around, and use itonly if it is very bad, sometine gently cleaning with plain Normal saline eye drops ( no preservatives) is all they seem to need, I am in the middle of an out break with several cats having a runny eye, I do add a bit of lysine to theri food, but to have it really be effective I do not think they are getting enough,,
Kelly Lane

Well, it's a common transient herpes infection symptom, so that's something to consider. It works kind of like genital herpes in humans, it's fine until one day "boom", an outbreak happens, then you treat the outbreak, and it goes away, till the next time another one flares up. Lysine would be the only thing I could suggest, if she's not already supplementing with it. Well Feline Interferon Omega would help, but it's kinda hard to get and expensive for just a little eye booger syndrome, if it's not causing him any discomfort. Even if it is Herpes, it's very treatable and not a big concern, as the outbreaks are usually limited to runny eyes and the occasional sneezing. She should watch the eye for ulcer formation, which is not as common of a symptom, but more serious. Herpes should never be treated with steroid eye ointments or drops, so unless she completely rules out herpes, do NOT use an anti-inflammatory eye medication that contains steroids. An antibiotic eye medication wouldn't hurt anything though, just on the off chance it is some kind of infection. I believe Terramycin is one that doesn't contain any steroids, just be sure to read the label, as LOTS of the commonly prescribed eye ointments and drops DO have steroids in them. Oh, and one more thing, she can give him a half a benadryl tablet (up to 12.5 MG - 1/4 tablet if he's a smaller cat)... if it is allergies, that should help substantially (but will make him groggy).

Phaewryn

<http://ucat.us/domesticcatlinks.html>http://ucat.us/domesticcatlinks.html
Special Needs Cat Resources
Checked by AVG Free Edition.