Susan,
Thank you for writing -- you've helped me take a deep breath.  I'll send you
an email off-list.

elizabeth

On 3/27/07, Susan Hoffman <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

I have a cat who is epileptic though not FeLV+  She is controlled with
phenobarbitol.  I'm leaving my office right now but if you want to talk feel
free to email me off list.  I know how scary it is to see a grand mal
seizure but it is still something you and the cat can cope with.

*elizabeth trent <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>* wrote:

I am so worried.

When I got home this afternoon, I noticed that Mama Kitty didn't have a
lot of spunk.  She ate well this morning but this afternoon, she didn't get
up and go to the front door to go outside.  I picked her up and took her --
she sat on the porch a bit and seemed interested in some cat food.  She
really sat in one spot for a while though so I picked her up to hold her at
pet her.  She wanted to get down so I let her.  She went to a place where
she usually suns and all of the sudden started breathing very rapidly.  Her
eyes looked very strange and she started to let out this low yell/growl.
That's when she turned over on her side -- legs straight out and head lolled
to the side..tongue sticking out.  It was a seizure.  There is no mistaking
it.

I thought she was going to die.

She did this once last summer when I was giving her Pet Tinic.

When it was over, I took her inside to her royal chair and just kept
everyone very calm and still.  In a few minutes, she was purring again.  I
got her to eat some fancy feast too and she ate fairly well.

She seems tired - but ok.

I started to take her to the ER (45 min drive away) -- but my heart told
me not to.  I've been sitting beside her, keeping her calm and I put one of
her favorite CDs on to soothe her.  Going to simmer some lavender oil.  I
was supposed to go out tonight but nixed those plans right away.

The only thing I can figure is that she was afraid I was picking her up to
give her medicine or go to the vet's and she didn't have the energy to run
so just just frieked out and had a seizure.  My vet told me that cat's can
do this - idiopathic seizures with no underlying pathology.  I'm worring
myself sick but I am afraid a 45 minute trip to the vet would just friek her
out more and the last thing she needs right now is stress.  The fact that
she ate convinced me more to just chill out and stay with her.

She has an appointment for more Acemannan tomorrow.  When I get her to go
to the vet - it's fast and painless.  She's in that pet taxi before she
knows what happened.  She's really in a delicate state right now though.
My vet is less than 2 miles away so hopefully we can get there without a big
ordeal.

elizabeth