to open it.
>From the sound of it, I think you'll find she comes round fairly soon.
(Mine didn't purr for 3 years.)
Kerry M.

-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of wendy
Sent: Wednesday, July 11, 2007 8:27 AM
To: felvtalk@felineleukemia.org; HyperT
Subject: OT: Update on feral kitty

Hi guys,

Well, it has been an interesting 2 days.  I was not able to check my
email at all until now after I posted I needed help.  But, help was
provided asap in the form of a woman in Target, where I went to buy tuna
and other items for the "trapping of the kitty".  She was wearing a red
shirt, and looked like she might be getting off work, so I stopped her
and asked her if she worked at Target and she said no, but she might be
able to help me, and I told her I needed string and why, and wouldn't
you know it...she does kitty rescue!  So she was very helpful and made
me feel more confident about what I was going to do.  She actually works
at the Petsmart next door.  What kind of luck is that?!  Well, after
about 9 hours, I was able to trap this sweet kitty.  I started around
noon and sat for 2 hours with string tied to the door of the cat
carrier, about 10 feet away, and she just would not go in.  You should
have seen my face when I gave up, walked up on my grandma's porch and
out
 of the corner of my eye spotted this metal thing that looked
suspiciously like a trap.  I felt so dumb, as I had seen that trap there
for many years, and I guess I just forgot about it.  It's old and rusty
and not my first choice in trapping this furbaby, but it worked.  She
was finally trapped that evening with a little help from sardines.  She
has been a real trooper.  She drove with me and my great aunt who is 82
all the way back to Texas, and she is now in my "kitty litter" room, a
room off our garage where we normally keep all the litter boxes.  She of
course is not very happy but is not very scared of me.  She has walked
by me a couple of times and actually started purring really loudly this
morning when I came to visit and talk with her and try to entice her
with food.  She isn't eating yet, but did seem interested in the tuna,
so I am hoping when I go back in there in a couple of hours, she will
have eaten something.  I have explained what happened and told her
 over and over that I will not hurt her.  She is so sweet.  You should
hear her meow.  She is not aggressive at all, but I do not want to try
to touch her until she has gained some trust in me.  She has a kitty
carrier with a blanket over it, and it's dark in there, which is for
right now where she prefers to be.  I have water, dry food (what she
normally eats), cooked chicken, and tuna sitting out for her.  I am
putting Calm Away in her water.  Any suggestions from anyone who has
dealt with ferals are welcome.

As for the other kitties, yes, I told my uncle that he should not have
done what he did with the other two; that they are used to being fed and
even if they did catch the mice for food, that there are only so many
mice.  However, he had just lost his mother, so I had to be fairly
gentle about it, which was probably best anyway.  He doesn't hate
animals; he's just ignorant about caring for cats as many people are who
don't have experience.  I couldn't get in touch with him the next day
when I went out to the house, so while I was trying to trap the kitty
with the real trap, I left and drove around the area looking for a
"farm".  No dice.  I did call the local feral rescue group and spoke
with a very nice lady, who was helpful in trapping her, but she is full
up and could not help with any of the kitties.  I had less than 24 hours
to deal with these 3 cats and am lucky to have been able to trap the one
that was left.  I do not know what I can do now for the other 2, being
 over 1100 miles away, other than pray that they find a food source.  If
he dumped him somewhat close to the house, there is a water source (a
lake) nearby.  The woman I spoke with from the rescue said they are
probably trying to make their way back home, so there's no telling where
they might be.

Wish me luck on my journey with this new one.  I haven't even told my
husband yet.  He's asleep and I'm hoping he won't figure out she's here
until he gets home from work later tonight, when I've had some rest and
can spar with him if need be.  lol.

Thanks for all your help!
:)
Wendy

"Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful committed citizens can
change the world - indeed it is the only thing that ever has!" ~~~
Margaret Meade ~~~

____________
Got a little couch potato?
http://search.yahoo.com/search?fr=oni_on_mail&p=summer+activities+for+ki
ds&cs=bz

IRS CIRCULAR 230 NOTICE. Any advice expressed above as to tax matters was
neither written nor intended by the sender or Mayer, Brown, Rowe & Maw LLP to
be used and cannot be used by any taxpayer for the purpose of avoiding tax
penalties that may be imposed under U.S. tax law. If any person uses or refers
to any such tax advice in promoting, marketing or recommending a partnership or
other entity, investment plan or arrangement to any taxpayer, then (i) the
advice was written to support the promotion or marketing (by a person other
than Mayer, Brown, Rowe & Maw LLP) of that transaction or matter, and (ii) such
taxpayers should seek advice based on the taxpayers particular circumstances
from an independent tax advisor.