Tracy,

  I'm sorry to read about Sylvester.  He sounds like a wonderful guy.

  tonya

Tracy Weese <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
            My giant (well, he used to be) ol' farm cat died this morning at
home.

  Sylvester came off a farm where I take care of a dwindling (thanks to TNR)
cat colony.  He got very sick about 2 years ago and I took him to the vet...of
course it was more than being sick, he had FeLV+.  So he came home with my
other cats (I had few other positives then, after today down to two now and
soon to be one-CW is anemic and fading, too).

  He was big when I got him, about 16 pounds despite being so ill.  After many
$$$$ at the vets' and then living at home, he was up to 22 lbs!  He stayed
pretty healthy for about 1 year and  4 months (he was probably 7 when I got
him).  He always had a little cough the vets thought was asthma (and yes, we
checked and re-checked this).  But recently, he was not the same, more
coughing, high fever, not eating....turns out his blood counts were all
haywire.  Low RBC, Low white count and low platelets....the antibiotics for the
fever made his tummy hurt, too.  So at the vet yesterday I asked if it was time
to let him go (he lost 2 lbs in a week), the vet didn't think so bec. of
course, he perked up at the vets' and purred and pranced...He got a vitamin B12
shot and his very first steroid shot (yes, we discussed that steriods in a
FeLV+ cat were a last resort).  When we got home, he had a good night.  He ate
some, and hung out with me and the others (he had been staying under
 the bed except when I would drag him out for meds).  He even played some and
tried to squeeze into a tiny box like he used to.

  This morning I awoke to a few sounds of slight distress....he was sleeping
under the bed again (actually, the cats tore the bottom fabric of the box
springs and he would sleep inside the box springs).  I reached down and touched
him and told him I was there and then went to get a carrier to go to the vet.
In the seconds it took for me to run downstairs and get the carrier and come
back up, he was gone.............

  I had to cut the rest of the fabric to get him since he would lay furtherst
from the opening.  I pulled him out and he was still, he looked very
peaceful--no signs of struggle on him or under the bed.

  This is the very first cat I have had that died at home (and I have a cabinet
full of cremated remains)...it was not terrible, but I did not plan it.  Last
night was so good for him, I guess he had only one last good night in him.

  He died with me nearby and in the place he felt safest, under the bed.  I
took him to the vets' so he can be cremated.
  I don't think he suffered but a few short seconds if that.  I gave him
permission several days ago to leave if he needed to, I guess he needed to go
today.

  Although I will miss him, several of my other cats will not.  He was a gentle
giant, but a few of my smaller cats  terrorized him if they got the chance.  He
never struck out first and usually retreated, but he was always a sweetie to
people.

  Please think good thoughts for Sylvester.