Megan,
My Bailey was my positive, he came to us at 5 months of age, he was positive then, my other 4 at that time were all negative and vaccinated. I had Bailey separate but found out my Joey was sneaking under the door to play with him while I was at work, he was Bailey's age and we lived in a Mobile home so the door gaps were big enough for him to squeeze under.

We decided to keep Bailey and let him interact with all the others and in 11 years nobody got it from him, I kept the others all vaccinated and nobody ever got it, I tested them occasionally to be sure, they are all still negative today, although I lost my little Bailey last May to cancer.

He too turned up anemic and we conquered that with epogen and prednisolone but it turns out he had cancer somewhere and we tested and did ultra sounds but couldn't find it. It finally took him after 6 months of trying to figure out what kind and where. We did a necropsy and he had pancreatic cancer.

Since they have all been living together it's a good bet they have all been exposed and either never gotten it or have and fought it off, a healthy adult cat has a very, very slim chance of getting it and if they do would most likely fight it off themselves. Bailey and his house mates played, groomed, ate out of the same dishes, drank out of the same bowls and on occasion had little squabbles and nobody ever got it from him.

Stress is the biggest trigger for FeLV activation so keeping the stress to a minumum is the most important thing you can do. Supplements are something you can do that generally aren't too expensive. Any or all of these - Mega C plus, COQ-10, Wild Salmon Oil and lysine are all immune boosters that are good to give.

One thing with anemia is to find out why they are anemic, with Bailey we did a bone marrow aspirate and found that the virus was surpressing his immune system and not allowing the blood to mature, he was considered non regenerative. We got him on epogen and a high dose of prednisolone and doxocycline. The doxy was in case he had hemobartonella, a very common virus FeLV+ cats get, which he tested negative for 3 or 4 times, hemobartonells will kill them if it isn't put into remission and the most commonly used drug for that is doxy. I insisted Bailey get this even though he tested negative for hemo because hemo is extremely hard to test for and many times cats will test negative when they are in fact positive so the cat dies, when they could easily have been saved by giving doxy, so in my opinion giving doxy to be safe is a good thing to do. It may just save a cat who is testing negative when they are in reality positive for it. The high dose of pred and the epogen is very likely what saved Bailey from dying from anemia, anemia will kill them if is isn't reversed period!!

Epogen is something most vets don't even think about using with positive cats, especially if their anemia is non regenerative, thank God my vet was willing to try things that are not textbook, if Bailey had not had cancer or if we could have found it, I know he would still be here today ...

--
Belinda
happiness is being owned by cats ...

Be-Mi-Kitties
http://bemikitties.com

http://adopt.bemikitties.com

FeLV Candlelight Service
http://bemikitties.com/cls

http://HostDesign4U.com

BMK Designs [non-profit animals websites]
http://bmk.bemikitties.com