Megan,

  You did all you could.  Olive knew that.
  take care,
  tonya

Megan Heikkinen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
  Unfortunately, I had to resort to PTS. It was probably the toughest decision
of my life--or at least, the second toughest, the first being to decide to let
Olive go in the first place. I spent most of the day yesterday and today with
her, and it was miserable watching her fade away. My roommate and I sat by her
for hours today. I kept thinking she was about to go, that she'd take one last
looking like she'd already passed. At one point she looked like she was really
gone, aside from the very slight rising of her chest, and then she rolled over
and stretched out, almost as if she were alright... it was heartbreaking.

This morning I had thought about trying to save her, but in my heart I feel
that it would have done more harm than good. Perhaps there was a slight chance
I truly could have saved her and reversed the anemia--but I have a feeling it
wouldn't have worked out that way, and I didn't want to put Olive through more
suffering. She was too young to succumb to this, but if I had tried to keep
her alive, I feel that it would've been out of my own selfish reasons. I will
miss her so much, but I am glad that she went out easy. I am sorry that I
could not give her a longer life, but at least the one she had was a great
one. She was one of the best kitties ever.

The vet called me this afternoon asking for an update, and I told him of my
decision, but that I still didn't know which way to go about it. He told me
he'd be at the clinic for about 20 more minutes, so I told him I might call
back. After discussing it with my roommate and boyfriend, I called back. It
was terrible. But at least Olive got to enjoy a last meal of tuna before
parting this world. She'd not eaten in a while, and I was happy to see her
gobble up quite a bit of it.

Here are some photos of Olive, if you're interested:
http://web.utk.edu/~mheikkin/olive.JPG
http://web.utk.edu/~mheikkin/olive2.JPG
http://web.utk.edu/~mheikkin/babyolive.JPG
http://web.utk.edu/~mheikkin/kittens.JPG (Juniper on left, Kudzu on right)

She was not very photogenic, so I don't have many good photos of her...

Thank you guys for all of your help. I did not mean to come off as ungrateful
in one of my previous emails. I was in so much pain, and so confused. I'm
feeling better now, because I know I did the right thing, as awful as it was.

I wish you and all your kitties good luck. I may eventually leave this list,
as I should hopefully no longer have use of it for some time being... But I'll
stay on for a bit. Thank you, everyone, so much.

-Megan