  From: Beth Noren
  To: felvtalk@felineleukemia.org
  Sent: Tuesday, September 25, 2007 8:16 AM
  Subject: Re: Here is the link

  But the FIV cats have not been given a "death sentence", they have been
vaccinated for a much reduced risk of a catching FeLV.  They are weighing that
risk against the risk of death on the streets or in a kill shelter.  If anyone
believes that that risk is not justified they can say so in a much nicer way
than calling the place a "hell hole" and attacking poor Sherry.
  From my experience, I do believe that some rescues are too set on the idea
that declaws are neccesary to attract adopters.  Our local rescue declaws every
kitten it can before offering it for adoption.  When I told one of their
volunteers that I was looking for a clawed companion for my
  clawed one-year old, she looked horrified and actually said "What about the
furniture?"  A politely worded letter to the director telling them that they
lost out on an adoption can have more impact than jumping into impassioned
rhetoric and telling them they're in "the dark ages".

  Beth