Caroline,

What did your holistic vet say about remedies to give a cat under going stress? I know Dr. Maier has a number she uses but I am out of touch with them. They could help reduce the stress and reverse any drugs given. I will never vaccinate Dixie given her status. She is perfectly healthy and an indoor cat. I'll take my chances with any diseases she might possibly pick up.
On Feb 7, 2008, at 12:37 PM, Caroline Kaufmann wrote:

If he's healthy now, then do it. Feleuk cats are prone to cancers- a lot of times, that is what gets them in the end, particularly lymphoscarcoma. Lymphosarcoma is the most common form of cancer in cats and dogs- feleuk or otherwise. But the incidence in Felv+ cats is even higher. This is what my cat Monkee came down with (found a lump on his leg). If neutering would further reduce his risk of cancer, then it's worth the small risk of putting him under but if he is indeed Feleuk positive, then he has double the chances of getting some time of cancer. And it's true that a neuter is a much simpler operation than a spay and there's basically no recovery issues- assuming there are no complications (unlike the frequent popped stitches that come with spaying). The group I volunteer for is currently working it's way through fixing an entire colony of Felv + feral cats and there haven't been any problems. And they are feral-- which I should think the stress of the catching, surgery, immediate release, must be even worse for them, so if they can handle it, your boy who's asymptomatic, healthy now that he's with you, and getting love and affection, will be fine.
caroline

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
To: felvtalk@felineleukemia.org
Subject: Re: fixing a leukemia kitty
Date: Wed, 6 Feb 2008 21:33:58 -0600

Lynne, my friend has all her feline leukemia kitties altered. I think one, in 20 years, had a problem. At least for a female, our vet believes the stress of the regular heat cycle would be greater than that of the spay. And you are right that an unneutered male is at risk of certain cancers...and he's already <potentially> immune compromised.

We had Isabella scheduled for her spay 2 or 3 times and each time she had a temp so we didn't do it. When she got so bad that we needed an ultrasound, the vet discovered she had hemaclips or something like that which meant she was already spayed. Boy were we relieved that we had not put her under and had cut open unnecessarily! (The vet had shaved her when we first rescued her and could not find a spay scar).

I would not be as worried about a neuter as a spay ~ if Boo is otherwise in good health and esp since he's not going to be vaccinated now. We did not vaccinate Isabella. I have watched a neuter being done. It takes no time at all. He won't be under long. I would ask whether they do a reversal and if the vet thinks this is a good idea for him.Bottom line for me ~ if the vet thinks it's ok to do the alter, I would be inclined to do it. Afterall, I am sure he doesn't want a poor result.

Laurie