________________________________

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of Gloria Lane
Sent: Monday, February 25, 2008 8:51 AM
To: felvtalk@felineleukemia.org
Subject: Re: new member with FeLV+ foster kitty Milli

What a loving thing you've done!  I do like interferon alpha, but find
different vets sell it for different prices.  I've found a less
expensive source locally and generally give 1/2 cc daily to FELV cats
that are less than 3 yrs old, or if they're sick like yours.

I've been using veterinary (not grocery store) kaopectate for diarrhea
lately and it's worked great - think it's good for coating the lining of
the digestive tract.  I started that because I ran out of Panacur, but
it's working well.  The latest formulation of Kaopectate that you get in
the grocery and drugs stores contains an aspirin like substance that's
harmful to cats.  At Veterinarypartner.com, there's an article that
says: "The old form of Kaopectate contained only kaolin and pectin while
later forms contained attapulgite, all of which were very safe in
animals due to the lack of systemic absorption.  However, Kaopectate has
recently developed a new formula that contains the drug bismuth
subsalicylate, a drug that can be toxic to cats. "

So we got some of the old formula from a vet, and it works well.

Best of luck,

Gloria