Hi Amy,

Yes, many of us here have heard of hemobartonella, a blood parasite.  It is
very hard to diagnose, because one minute it will show up on a slide under the
microscope, and the next minute, it won't.  So anytime any of the kitties here
are anemic, we recommend the 21 day course of doxy regardless of test results
because felv+ cats are more prone to hemobart and it's hard to diagnose.  I
don't think it's contagious, but find it interesting that 2 of your 3 are
positive.  It's possible the 3rd one is as well, since the parasite is so
elusive.  I would talk about this with your vet.  Please keep us posted as to
the results of the other two cats.  If it turns out that a high percentage of
your cats have it, especially if all of them do, I will wonder not necessarily
about contagiousness (which I thought that it wasn't), but what caused the
hemobart and the conditions (ie. if fleas in certain parts of the country or
certain areas, lakeland fleass vs. city fleas
 are more prone to carry the parasite).  Did your vet say if fleas are the only
way to get hemobart?  It will be interesting to learn more about this.  Be glad
your kitties are so healthy.  We see some here that are diagnosed in the late
stages of anemia, and often it can be too late.  Another thought: I don't think
that hemobart is related to cat scratch fever.  If I am wrong, someone please
correct me.

Thanks for taking such good care of your furbabies and good luck,
Wendy

world - indeed it is the only thing that ever has!"     ~~~ Margaret Meade ~~~