From: Belinda Sauro <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: felvtalk@felineleukemia.org
Sent: Tuesday, March 18, 2008 11:33:51 PM
Subject: Is Cheesecake On The Horizan?!

   Just received this from www.10thlife.org newsletter, dare we hope???

Pilot Study Will Help Determine If New Cobra-Venom Drug Cures Feline Leukemia
For more than a year we’ve been waiting for the federal government to approve a
license application to use a new cobra-venom based drug in a large placebo
controlled double blind research study that will scientifically determine if
the new drug cures feline leukemia (FeLV). The manufacturer has already
received approval from the State of Florida to proceed, but – if the drug cures
the disease – sales would be limited to Florida veterinarians and Florida cat
owners. Federal approval would allow sales anywhere.
      Because of the federal delay, Dr. Julie Levy of the University of Florida
College of Veterinary Medicine suggested we conduct a smaller 18-30 cat, four
month, placebo controlled double blind “pilot study” using the Florida license.
The pilot study will follow the same procedures and be conducted in the same
manner as a larger follow-up study using 100+ FeLV positive cats. The larger
study will be conducted if the pilot study shows good results. Good results
from the pilot study could expedite federal approval for a larger study – which
Dr. Levy would supervise. The larger 100+ cat study will prove conclusively
that the drug cures, or does not cure, FeLV.
      The drug’s manufacturer will supply the drug to us for both studies (at
no charge) and will supervise the pilot study (with the results forwarded to
Dr. Levy).
      No harm will come to the cats. The drug is safe and there are no known
side effects.
      For the last two weeks I’ve been looking for a location to conduct the
pilot study (we can’t do it at the sanctuary). Once we find a place, I can put
a final budget together.
      We will need to raise money for the pilot study and if we proceed to the
bigger study, we’ll have to raise money for that, too. Donors to either study
will receive a tax deduction. If the drug does cure FeLV, 10th Life will
receive a royalty on each sale of the drug because (1) we are raising the
necessary research funds (the manufacturer’s research budget is for human - not
animal – trials), and (2) we will be supplying the FeLV+ cats.
      We will probably need more FeLV+ cats. In a few days I’ll know if we need
more FeLV+ cats and will ask you, then, if you have, or know someone who has,
FeLV+ cats that could participate in the pilot study. Most FeLV+ cats are
routinely put down by their owners... this research is necessary because, if
the drug cures FeLV, many lives will be saved.
      In the meantime, please continue to support us with a donation... I spend
most of my time raising operating funds and now that I’m spending a lot of time
trying to get this study underway, I am not out there raising operating funds.
Please, we need every donation to continue providing for our 1,200+ sanctuary
cats and for these potentially life saving studies. All donations are tax
deductible.

--

Belinda
happiness is being owned by cats ...