that's what's gotten researchers re-evaluating everything we thought they
knew--negative moms, or litters from positive moms that are only partially
positive themselves, or positive kittens that then turn negative (when the
old "wisdom" was that a kitten born with the virus couldn't possibly throw
it off because of the immature immune system.....

the last thing that i read, and i don't know where, and can't cite it
because it was just sort of a notice someplace of preliminary results (oh,
knowing me, i probably DO have it saved SOMEPLACE, but it wasn't
definite...) is that they're thinking that maybe the virus does NOT pass
through the placental barrier as previously believed, or via the birth
process itself (the mucous membranes), but that perhaps the MAJOR vector in
all transmission is the mutual grooming and cleaning that goes on.

since we already know that the virus does not pass easily, and that many
negatives live happily (or, at least co-exist) with positives for many many
years--anecdotally, more than the 30% who should be able to throw it
off--this hypothesis makes a lot of sense. ESPECIALLY the negative mom and
positive kittens bit, if, for example, there's a positive mom who takes on a
lot of the nurturing duties, which DOES happen a lot....

as for faint and strong positives, my understanding, tho i guess it MAY
depend on on the brand of test, is that there's really no such thing: if any
color shows, it's positive. the depth of the color has nothing to do with
the amount of antigen in the sample--could as easily be a function of the
test solution. kind of like pregnancy--no such thing as being a little bit
positive.

--

Spay & Neuter Your Neighbors!
Maybe That'll Make The Difference....