From: Marylyn <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: [Felvtalk] (no subject)
To: felvtalk@felineleukemia.org
Date: Thursday, July 24, 2008, 9:38 AM

Check with Alley Cat Advocates or any TNR group in your area.  Consider them a
feral colony.  They will help you.  Live trapping is easy.  Just remember to be
very careful.  A feral bit my finger and broke it.....and, two surgeries later,
it is doing fine.  Luckily I had good insurance.  And still had possession of
the cat so she could be spayed and quarantined for the appropriate amount of
time.  If your cats really want to be outside, put up a dog kennel so they can
go thru the pet door into the kennel.  It is great.  With farmland,
you probably have fox and coyote.  They will kill a cat in a heart beat.  My
Mom has ferals (people dump them in the strip mall behind her property) and she
has to be concerned about the hawks.  I just got a very small kitten from the
pine thicket.  She is in the bedroom now, napping.  All of this is to say, be
careful with your own cats.  I did not realize all the dangers when I moved to
the farm.  I
 had hoped to have lots of cared for outside cats. That probably won't happen.
Help the ferals you can.  Mom has had a couple of dozen spayed/neutered and
released.  Some stay, some go.  It is very hard when they go and all you can do
is hope they found a good place to live.  ACA has a good website with lots of
information re caring for ferals.

I am very sorry Trixter left this world.  I just lost Dixie Louise.  She made
my life so much better though.  I would not have missed one second of the time
we had together.  Not a nano second.

Good luck.