From: tamara stickler <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: [Felvtalk] Seeking homes for cats after death
To: felvtalk@felineleukemia.org
Date: Friday, October 31, 2008, 1:29 PM

Just a word of advice, watch where you wind up leaving your cats.  If it is to
be to an organization, I would suggest you become active volunteers of the
organization NOW and keep up a face to face envolvement throughout the rest of
your life!

  By volunteering I have gathered intimate knowledge of an organization that I
once thought was wonderful...and grew to knew it to be a place were I
wouldn't leave a bug, much less a loved one, but you'd NEVER know it to
visit or to read the newsletter.

  The more I volunteered at different organizations the more I have become
convinced that as I go through life, I (and I'm only speaking of myself
here, not passing judgement on anyone else or meaning to preach) have to be
certain to only take in as many animals at a time as I have friends and
relatives to take care of them should something happen to me.  Even then, there
is no guarantee.

  But if you are active, involved physcially NOT just financially, you will
make contacts with others who have the same interests and concern as you do.
Then, even should the organization take a turn for the worse, you still have
personal contacts who may take a personal interest in your cats and do
everything in their power to make certain they get a fair shake...even if the
organization is full and can't take any more animals at the time you need
them to.

  Remember, being physcially involved can be a low stress as you need it to
be....from just visiting every week or so, to perhaps groom or play with the
cats being sheltered to answering phones to working the occasional weekend
adoption events.

  Tamara