From: felvtalk-boun...@felineleukemia.org
[mailto:felvtalk-boun...@felineleukemia.org] On Behalf Of Gloria B. Lane
Sent: Friday, December 12, 2008 9:09 AM
To: felvtalk@felineleukemia.org
Subject: Re: [Felvtalk] Question re: keeping them healthy-article

http://bulletin.aarp.org/opinions/othervoices/articles/a_hospital_germ_o
n_the_warpath_.html

Opinion -  A Hospital Germ on the WarpathYou can take some simple
steps to avoid infection
By Betsy McCaughey - November 1, 2008 - From the AARP Bulletin print
edition

Grace Voros was 85 and enjoying life, watching her family grow and
taking romantic walks with the man she fell in love with 61 years ago,
when she took a minor fall. She went to the hospital for an x-ray,
where tests confirmed she had no broken bones. But while there, she
contracted an infection no one in the family had ever heard about, "C.
diff," and died.

C. diff, short for Clostridium difficile, is raging through hospitals,
infecting hundreds of thousands of patients a year. The bacteria
contaminate every surface, including bed rails, bed tables, nurses'
uniforms, privacy curtains, faucets and call buttons. When patients
touch these surfaces and then pick up food without washing their
hands, they ingest the germ. Any patient taking antibiotics who
ingests C. diff is in danger of developing severe diarrhea, leading to
dehydration, inflammation of the colon and even death.

Routine cleaning isn't enough to protect you from C. diff. Researchers
at Case Western Reserve and the Cleveland VA Medical Center found that
after routine cleaning at a hospital, 78 percent of surfaces were
still contaminated. To kill the germ, you need to use bleach.

When surfaces are not properly disinfected, the results can be deadly.
At Thomas Jefferson Medical Center in Philadelphia, three consecutive
patients occupying the same room came down with C. diff. One died.

Staffs at many U.S. hospitals are woefully uninformed about what to
do. One study reported that 39 percent of medical personnel didn't
know that C. diff could be spread on stethoscopes, blood pressure
cuffs and other equipment. About two-thirds of medical staff were
unaware they should clean their hands with soap and water, because
alcohol sanitizers don't kill this superbug.

What can you do to protect yourself? Insist that everyone treating you
clean their hands before touching you.

Clean your own hands thoroughly before eating. Do not touch your hands
to your lips. Do not place your food or utensils on any surface except
your plate. Ask family to bring wipes containing bleach to clean the
items around your bed.

When you leave the hospital, assume any belongings you bring home are
contaminated. Do not mix clothes from the hospital with the family
wash; wash with bleach. Regular laundry detergents do not kill C. diff.

If you are visiting someone in the hospital, be careful about eating
in the cafeteria or a restaurant where the staff go in their scrubs or
uniforms. These uniforms could be covered in invisible superbugs. More
than 20 percent of nurses' uniforms had C. diff on them at the end of
a workday, according to one study. Imagine sliding into a restaurant
booth after a nurse has left the germ on the table or the seat. You
could easily pick it up on your hands and then ingest it with your
sandwich.

Poor hospital hygiene and lax practices such as wearing scrubs in
public are putting all of us at risk. That's why I founded RID, the
Committee to Reduce Infection Deaths, so that other families won't
have to go through what Grace Voros' family suffered.

Betsy McCaughey is a former lieutenant governor of New York.

On Dec 12, 2008, at 1:27 AM, <dlg...@windstream.net>
<dlg...@windstream.net
 > wrote:

> yes it is.  story was about Grace Voros, 85 who took a minor fall.
> went to hospital for x-ray.  no broken bones, but contracted c. diff
> and died.   article was in aarp bulletin for november 2008.  if
> someone will tell me how to copy article and attach to email, will
> do.  dorlis
> ---- catatonya <catato...@yahoo.com> wrote:
>> what is the germ?  is it c-diff?  My grandmother died from that in
>> August.  Evidently it's highly contagious.
>>  tonya
>>
>> dlg...@windstream.net wrote:
>>  just saw article in AARP magazine about a new germ that only
>> Clorox can kill it. it is popping up in hospitals all over. said
>> that if go to hospital, make sure all coming into your room wash
>> hands throughly with lots of soap and water. also bed rails, etc
>> should all be washed down. seems lately, we can get sicker in
>> hospital than at home. one lady died from it. dorlis
>> ---- Pat Kachur wrote:
>>> If you are concerned, you could wipe off your shoes with some type
>>> of "germ
>>> killer" before you come in the house.

be privileged.
received this