In my case, Flavia was so weak that she offered no resistance. I would just settle her on my lap with the (wet )cat food next to me, put a little dollop of food on my finger, open her mouth (clench each side of her jaw---a cat's mouth opens automatically when you do that) and then SMEAR the food on the ROOF of her mouth. It's a pretty certain way of getting the food to stay in the mouth--she'll then take it from there. Repeat until she has enough cals inside here. It can take a while! It's also good to do this when a cat has no smell, perhaps because of a--URI--- upper respiratory infection. No smell = no want food. When the food is put in the mouth it gives a chance for the taste sense to take over the job and get the appetite going.
On 30/05/2009, at 11:47 AM, MaryChristine wrote:

first you put the cat's bib on, the one from marta's cafepress site that says, "remember which one of us has the claws....."--there's actually quite a good assist-feeding group, i'm told--someone, the link? belinda, you've done assist-feeding a lot, yes? it's DEFINITELY something anyone with a
challenged cat should know how to do....

MC

On Sat, May 30, 2009 at 12:43 PM, Sander, Sue <sue.san...@ssa.gov> wrote:

How do you assist feed a cat?

-----Original Message-----
From: felvtalk-boun...@felineleukemia.org
[mailto:felvtalk-boun...@felineleukemia.org] On Behalf Of MaryChristine
Sent: Saturday, May 30, 2009 12:35 PM
To: felvtalk@felineleukemia.org
Subject: Re: [Felvtalk] Thoughts & Prayers Needed for Darcy

echoing kerry's thoughts, and everyone else's prayers--please let us
know what the vet has to say--spaying is usually a simple,
straight-forward procedure, but even when complications do arise, they
usually can be overcome. GLOW for the little one!

MC

On Sat, May 30, 2009 at 11:09 AM, Kerry MacKenzie