hi,

I just joined this group -  not sure how active it is, but I was thrilled to
find the site.

I've been taking care of a feral turned 'could be housecat' for 6 months.
Finally I was able to trap "Whimsy" and got him fixed, etc.  He turned out to
be FeLV positive, but seemingly asymptomatic.  We did not do a blood work as
initially this was to be a TNR.  He is approx 1 1/2 yrs old.  I have other
inside kitties, so after hearing the FeLV news it wasn't an option to bring him
in, but I also refused to put him down.  He does still live outside, but won't
stay in the numerous shelters I have put out for him any longer due to possums
moving into them.  He hangs out in the yard most of the time, despite the cold
Midwest weather, and is fed twice a day.  Since his fixing 4 wks ago, he's
become even sweeter, almost babyish and refuses to get off my lap when it's
time for me to go inside.  He's a real climber, jumper, I often see him on
roofs and in trees.  He was popcorning all over the place at the vet's - though
I got him to walk into the
 carrier, he had to be sedated once there after a near escape.

my question: I have a sun room that I could put him in, if my partner agrees,
but what risk is there to my other kitties, a few with their own issues (FIV,
HCM, CRF, lung issues, allergies).  I am not super concerned about FeLV being
spread since they'd be separated(unlikely) but other things Whimsy might have -
like Panleuk.  I have never been able to get a stool sample from him.  what
other scary things are possible? how do I ensure he won't have them?

I did confirm the ELISA with an IFA, and it was positive.  This is 'stage 5 or
6', then?

His health issues have been: bouts of no appetitite in Dec coinciding with a
runny eye and wound on chest.  I got him on antibiotics and it took a good 2
wks, but the eye cleared and his appetite was back.  He's had some not eating
issues lately, but seems more concerned I coax him and sit with him while he
eats.  Pepcid helps slightly.  He's also been on an immune booster for a month.

He used to be a dodgy feral and now tries to rub his face on mine - he's come
such a long way. I would love to hear any opinions or stories.

thanks,
Shannon