Hey,

With respect to blood transfusions in cats.  Most cats are blood group A -
around 99% in the US.  As it is in people you need to match the blood
types.  Because there is such a high prevelance of type A in the US, they do
not always do a type and cross - to me this seems foolish as it would be
easy to just do a cross and look for any reaction in the test tube.  I don't
think they always know how to do this in general vet labs.  If you have a
cat that is O or B (again unlikely in the US), they will react to the
transfusion of an A blood type donor.

I personally have had bad luck with transfusions in felv because you are
only treating the symptoms of the disease and they will have to be
transfused every month or two.  Every transfusion increases the risk of a
bad transfusion reaction.  If, however, the cat has a regenerative anemia
(lots of reticulocytes) and something like a hemobartonella infection, the
transfusion in conjunction with treatment of the hemobartonella may yield
positive results.  What I am trying to say is that, if the cat is anemic
because his bone marrow is not producing more red blood cells, a transfusion
will only prolong the inevitable by a month or two (this would be end stage
effects of the felv).  Unless there is some novel treatment for felv in this
stage (I haven't found much - LTCI, acemannan and interferon have been
proposed and sometimes help but no guarantees) and you are willing to try
one of them, I would probably not opt to do a transfusion.  If, on the other
hand, there is a regenerative anemia and an underlying cause for the anemia
- like hemobartonella - a transfusion in conjunction with treatment of the
hemobartonella may be helpful.  Especially if there is some desire to
attempt to treat the felv - LTCI, interferon, acemannan, a combination of
herbal remedies, etc.

If all they want to do is a transfusion, I can almost guarantee that is will
simply prolong the inevitable by a few weeks.

Hope that helps.

Jenny