Dear Beth,

Thanks for the information.

Let me add some information to my previous post.

I typically take kittens that are neonatal, usually under about 3 weeks of age.
 I am one of the few fosters in my group who will foster newborns.   I usually
have them for a minimum of 3 weeks before I would even think of combining
litters.  When I have single kittens, I feel it is important for them to
develop social skills with peer group kittens  - about the same age.  I find
they develop bad habits otherwise - biting and too rough play.  Waiting to
socialize singletons until they are fixed and tested at 8 weeks doesn't work
well.

Since they have been in my home 3 or more weeks when they would be tested, none
of the kittens would have any recent exposure to any cats who might infect them
with FeLV/FIV.  All my litters are carefully quarantined upon arrival, even
though it is a lot of work and I have many many litterboxes and food bowls to
clean each day.

It seems reasonable to me that if they are exposed BEFORE they come to me, in
3-4 weeks, wouldn't they tend to test positive if they had prior exposure to
FeLV?

What do all you experts think?

Thanks again for any input.

Georgetta (got one adopted today, but took in 2 starved 5 week olds to stablize
for another foster yesterday so numbers are up, not down.)