i did not try to bring in my ferals until they had accepted me.  i have a "cat
house" on the deck for them to sleep in andi put out food until they don't run
and then i start holding food in my hand and letting them approach me.  at
first they snatch and run, but eventually they learn to trust and let me
scratch their chin.  from then on, they are mine.  it usually takes about 6 - 8
months.  then i bring them in and when they are at ease, we go to the vet.