We do them at 2 pounds/2 months in northern California.  With the girls we may
wait till they are closer to 3 pounds though.

Cats can start going into heat at 4-1/2 months.  And with the boys, the sooner
they are neutered the less likely they are to become sprayers.  If you are
planning on adopting the little guy out I would suggest fixing him as soon as
possible.  If he turns into a sprayer he will really not be adoptable to an
indoor only home.