Unfortunately that has been the experience of too many people.  Even with a
contract and a spay/neuter deposit it does not happen.  Or it doesn't happen
until after that little surprise litter from a 7 month old cat.  Early age
spay/neuter goes a long way towards reducing pet overpopulation.  The areas
that do very young spay/neuter amd have active feral cat programs have fewer
kittens in shelters and higher adult cat adoptions.  So if you're going to
adopt them out, fix them first.